Bookcomet

Bookcomet

Playing the judge

Messenger of Fear by Michael Grant

Messenger of Fear (Messenger of Fear, #1)

Publication date: August 26th 2014

Publisher: Hardie Grant Egmont Australia

Number of pages: 272

Series: Messenger of Fear  (1#)

Genre: YA Fantasy

Source: Received in exchange for review (thank you!). This is my honest opinion.

Goodreads synopsis:

I remembered my name – Mara. But, standing in that ghostly place, faced with the solemn young man in the black coat with silver skulls for buttons, I could recall nothing else about myself.

And then the games began.

The Messenger sees the darkness in young hearts, and the damage it inflicts upon the world. If they go unpunished, he offers the wicked a game. Win, and they can go free. Lose, and they will live out their greatest fear.

But what does any of this have to do with Mara? She is about to find out . . .

Review:

What if you had to decide who was guilty and who was innocent? What if YOU had to play the judge? What if you were in control of who plays the Game.

Let me tell you, this book was brilliant. With a capital ‘b’. And every other letter for that matter. Seriously, this is going on my top reads for this year list.

You see, I began Messenger of Fear late at night when my eyes were very tired. Yeah, that’s not a good time for me to start a book usually, but I really wanted to read. Usually, no matter how much I desire to read, I can’t usually read more than about 10 pages, 20 at most, when my eyes are tired. But I just decided to read for a few minutes. I ended up reading 50 pages quickly, and easily. It was really hard to stop.

I got straight into the story. I love books where you get to follow different stories (within the book). I just have a thing for books like that. It’s pretty much guaranteed that I’m going to love it if it has quite a few different storylines.

The writing was just so great and was easy to read. Michael Grant does a great job with gorier scenes as well. I found that I was trying to pace myself, so that I could savour the book. Not counting the 50 pages the night before I read it within a day – and I really didn’t want it to end.

Especially not with that ending. To be honest I wasn’t a huge fan of that ending because I thought it was a little predictable, but it was still enjoyable to read.

I loved the idea of the Messenger and the Game. So cool. The book is really unique and the ideas were just so great.

The themes! How have I gone this long without bringing up the themes! Wow, this book really got me thinking about the concept of right and wrong, and when wrongs can be justified. It also touched upon themes such as bullying and love. I think Messenger of Fear will stick with me for a while yet.

I really can’t recommend this book enough. I am so pumped for a sequel, please let it come soon. I need a sequel in my life.

5/5 comets
Bye, bye Earth! Out of this world!

Add to Goodreads

Author bio:

Michael  GrantI was born in a manger and grew up in a log cabin where I read law books by firelight. . . Oh, wait, that wasn’t me, that was someones else.

I had a hard childhood. Hard for my parents. Not that bad for me. I was an Army brat, moved around a lot. Then I didn’t settle down. I just kept moving. Why? What inner turmoil drove me? Mmmm, I gotta say none. I just have a short attention span. Easily bored.

I’m living in Tiburon, CA right now. How much longer? Don’t know.

I’ve written 150 books. That’s right, I said 150. In your face, Stephen King. Granted, mine are shorter than his. And less popular. And less likely to be made into a major motion picture. And I guess i don’t play in a band with Dave Barry, either, do I?

Sorry: Salieri complex acting up.

Most of those books — and by “most” I mean 149 out of 150 — I wrote with my wife, the lovely, the talented, the eternally hot, Katherine (K.A.) Applegate. We’ve been together for 29 years. Which is a long time. Looooong time. Sweet lord what a long . . . No babe, I’m not implying anything.

Damn internets: you never know who’s reading things.

Anyway, GONE. My goal in writing GONE? To creep you out. To make you stay up all night reading, then roll into school tired the next day so that you totally blow the big test and end up dropping out of school.

GONE. Imagine a world where every adult vanishes in an instant.

Coming soon, a whole other series: BZRK.