Bookcomet

Bookcomet

If YOU could read my mind right now, you’d know that I was truly surprised by this book.

Don’t Even Think About It by Sarah Mlynowski

Don't Even Think About It

Publication date: May 1st 2014 (first published March 11th 2014)

Publisher: Orchard Books

Number of pages: 304

Series: Don’t Even Think About It (1#)

Genre: YA Something (I don’t know how to classify this!)

Source: Received in exchange for review. This is my honest opinion.

Goodreads synopsis:

This is the story of how we became freaks. It’s how a group of I’s became a we.

When Class 10B got their flu shots, they expected some side effects. Maybe a sore arm. Maybe a headache. They definitely didn’t expect to get telepathy. But suddenly they could hear what everyone was thinking. Their friends. Their teachers. Their parents. Now they all know that Tess has a crush on her best friend, Teddy. That Mackenzie cheated on Cooper. That Nurse Carmichael used to be a stripper. Some of them will thrive. Some of them will break. None of them will ever be the same.

A smart and funny story about friendship, first love and surviving high school from the bestselling author of Ten Things We Shouldn’t Have Done.

Review:

Surprised, you ask? Yes, reader, I am.

The thing was that I didn’t have that much confidence in this book because most of the blogs I follow didn’t give it the most “rave” of reviews but I’m glad that I still kept an open mind because I really enjoyed it.

These days it takes me a lot to say that a book is unique. Can you really blame me? A lot of dystopian books are the same and there are so many faerie and paranormal books with only slight differences that it gets pretty hard to find something fresh. And I’m telling you now, this book is fresh.

I think the man factor that made this stand out for me, was the perspective the book was told from. This is the only book that I have ever read that is told from a collective group at the same time. In this case, it was the school homeroom, 10B2.

I think one of my favourite things about Don’t Even Think About It, was the character Olivia. I mean, come on. We have the same name. Then I got slightly concerned. She was extrememly (no exaggeration) like me and I was wondering how I got into the story. It brings a whole new meaning to the term “relatable characters” really.

The story was weirdly cool. There were so many personalities and stories all mixed into one. Yet not once did I get confused about which character was which or who was with who. Each character was very well constructed and all the tiny details were there, which made them seem quite real.

Forget the vaccination having side effects. This book has side effects. Ever since I started reading this book I have been worrying that people could hear my thoughts. In fact, it’s been a day since finishing now, and I’m still thinking about it.

The reason why I am not giving Don’t Even Think About It five stars/comets is because while it was weirdly cool, it was still a bit too weird for me in parts.

4/5 comets
A meteor shower. A great show!

Add to Goodreads

Goodreads author bio:

Sarah MlynowskiSarah is the author of BRAS & BROOMSTICKS, FROGS & FRENCH KISSES, SPELLS & SLEEPING BAGS and PARTIES & POTIONS—all in the YA ‘Magic in Manhattan’ series, as well as GIMME A CALL and the upcoming TEN THINGS WE DID (AND PROBABLY SHOULDN’T HAVE). Along with Lauren Myracle and E. Lockhart, she also wrote HOW TO BE BAD.

Sarah’s five novels for adults, MILKRUN, FISHBOWL, AS SEEN ON TV, MONKEY BUSINESS and ME VS. ME, were published by Red Dress Ink. She also co-wrote a guide to writing chick lit (SEE JANE WRITE), co-edited two bestselling charity collections (GIRLS’ NIGHT IN and GIRLS’ NIGHT OUT), and contributed to various anthologies (AMERICAN GIRLS ABOUT TOWN, SIXTEEN: STORIES ABOUT THAT SWEET AND BITTER BIRTHDAY, 21 PROMS, FIRST KISS (THEN TELL), FIREWORKS and VACATIONS FROM HELL).

Sarah’s books have been translated into twenty-one languages. Originally from Montreal, she now lives and writes in New York City.