Bookcomet

Publisher: Self-published

Number of pages: 124

Series: 4 book series

Genre: YA Mystery/Contemporary

Source: From the publisher for review. This is my honest opinion.

Goodreads synopsis:

A new four-book YA thriller novella series that’s part Pretty Little Liars, Cruel Intentions, and Gossip Girl.

Book 1: Mimi Lerner is a Mean Girl. She and everyone else knows it, but she doesn’t care, because along with her best friend, Lizzy Ross, Mimi rules the halls of her Manhattan prep school. But once Lizzy goes MIA after a party at a posh downtown hotel, Mimi’s social status starts slipping. Desperate for attention, cocaine, and her best friend, Mimi must face facts: Lizzy Ross may not be the girl she knew, and the life of Caribbean vacations and collegiate parties she thought she’d have is going in a very different direction.

Review:

I hate Mimi. She is rude, spoiled, bratty, mean…that isn’t even half of the reasons I hate her. Think of an even meaner Regina George from Mean Girls narrating a story.

But it doesn’t stop there. She takes cocaine. A lot. Yeah I get that it is a real issue with teens but I feel it is almost glorified because she seemed to think of it as necessary and she was obsessed with it every time Jared came onto the scene. I’m sure it happens but there were just too many references to the drug for me.

She also didn’t care nearly enough about the disappearance of her friend for me. If I would have been in her position, I would have acted completely differently and would have put way more effort and contributed more to finding her. I get what the author was trying to do by using her as a main character, and she portrayed who she was very well, I just don’t want to read about a character like Mimi.

I did like that the book was a quick read because it was pretty light.

I will not be continuing on with the series, even if I am intrigued to know what happens and where Lizzy is.

1.5/5 comets
Just missed. Almost there.

Add to Goodreads

Goodreads author bio:

Jessica Schein was born and raised in Manhattan and is a graduate of both Bates College and Lesley University, from which she received her M.F.A in Creative Writing. After school, she spent nearly eight years working in the marketing departments of a number of children’s publishing houses and dreaming of the day she’d publish her own stories. She currently lives in Seattle with her dog, Owen, who is—of course—named after a well-known literary character. When not writing, she can be found cooking, running, doing yoga, or spacing out.

*This review was originally posted on my primary blog, Bookcomet