Bookcomet

The Wobbit: A Parody

Publication date: November 26th 2013

Publisher: Touchstone

Number of pages: 176

Series: N/A (although it can be considered the prequel to Bored of the Rings)

Genre: Fantasy/Humour

Source: From the publisher for review via Netgalley. This is my honest opinion.

pagebreaksbookcomet

Goodreads synopsis:

The sequel to the parody of the sequel to the prequel to The Lord of the Rings

When Aaron Sorkinshield and his band of Little People embark on a totally feasible quest to reclaim the hoard of Academy Awards stolen from them by the lonely Puff the Magic Dragon, senile wizard Dumbledalf suggests an unlikely and completely unqualified accomplice: Billy Bagboy, an unassuming wobbit dwelling in terrorist-riddled Wobbottabad.

Along the way, the company faces Internet trolls, moblins, one really big spider that must be at least an inch and a half wide, and worse. But as they journey from the wonders of Livinwell to the terrors of Jerkwood and beyond, Billy will find that there is more to him than anyone—Tolkien included—ever dreamed. Propelled to his destiny by a series of courageous adventures and indented paragraphs, Billy will set out on the greatest YOLO of all time . . . one that leads deep into the dark caverns hiding a mysterious man named Goldstein, who’s just trying to have a nice seder.

pagebreaksbookcomet

Review:

The Harvard Lampoon are absolutely fantastic. I doubt that they could very write anything that I wouldn’t like.

I was so excited when I got this for review because I adored their parody of The Hunger Games, called The Hunger Pains, and my totally real psychic abilities told me I would love this one. They never fail me.

The Wobbit was almost as funny as The Hunger Pains. It takes a lot for me to say that a book is laugh out loud funny, because I’m one of those interesting people who typically display no obvious emotion while reading. I could be having a fit of laughter inside and you’d never know. In fact I could be now and you’d never know. But yes, this actually made me laugh out loud.

Why, you ask?

Well one of the reasons had to be the very confused Dumbledalf. He could make any scene hilarious. And who could forget Kiwi? Billy Bagboy was so bad himself, either. Puff the very friendly dragon was fairly epic as well.

It’s totally worth reading this for all the YOLO references and, of course, the appearance of Game of Musical Chairs. I was actually disappointed when it ended, it could probably be a never ending book and I would never get bored of it.

The Harvard Lampoon’s books will definitely be a go to for funny read for a very long time. I dare say that this will be mentioned on my Top Books of 2014 blog post, why look at that! My psychic abilities have kicked in again!

5/5 comets
Bye, bye Eath – Out of this world!

Add to Goodreads

*This review was also posted on my primary blog: bookcomet.wordpress.com