Bookcomet

Bookcomet

Reviews: Captivate and Salt

Captivate by Vanessa Garden

Captivate (Submerged Sun, #1)

Publication date: January 1st 2014

Publisher: Harlequin TEEN

Number of pages: 304

Series: Submerged Sun (1#)

Genre: YA Fantasy

Source: From the publisher for review via Netgalley. This is my honest opinion.

Goodreads synopsis:

In a glittering underwater world, nothing is as it seems…

For the past twelve months since her parents’ death, seventeen-year-old Miranda Sun has harboured a dark secret — a secret that has strained the close relationship she once shared with her older sister, Lauren. In an effort to repair this broken bond, Miranda’s grandparents whisk the siblings away on a secluded beach holiday. Except before Miranda gets a chance to confess her life-changing secret, she’s dragged underwater by a mysterious stranger while taking a midnight swim.

Awakening days later, Miranda discovers that she’s being held captive in a glittering underwater city by an arrogant young man named Marko…the King of this underwater civilisation.

Nineteen-year-old Marko intends to marry Miranda in order to keep his crown from falling into the sinister clutches of his half-brother, Damir. There’s only one problem. Miranda is desperate to return home to right things with her sister and she wants nothing to do with Marko. Trying to secure her freedom, Miranda quickly forms an alliance with Robbie — Marko’s personal guard. However, she soon discovers that even underwater, people are hiding dangerous secrets…

Review:

Meet the perfect beachside read. Then read it. And love it.

Captivate is the perfect summer read. There’s love, action and of course, an underwater city. The main character of Captivate is Miranda, who is brave, smart and not your typical mermaid book candidate. I liked the way that she never forgot about her family when she was underwater and could handle herself in a dangerous situation.

She setting was amazing. I was expecting a mermaid book but an underwater city did just as nicely. I thought that the concept was really unique and fairly unheard of in the book world.

The cover is lovely. I was in the bookstore recently and it definitely caught my eye and reminded me I HAD to read it. I just adore those shades of blue and her dress!

The writing was good, very modern. It definitely helped me to get a feel of who the characters were.

I am definitely anticipating the sequel and hope it’s out in time for next summer.

4.5/5 comets – KABOOM! That just leaves one continent (one little flaw)!

Add to Goodreads

Goodreads author bio:

Vanessa GardenA bookseller and Young Adult author, Vanessa loves nothing more than immersing herself in the exciting world of books. When she is not raving about her favourite reads with customers, or mentally casting actors to play the characters in her next novel, she enjoys hanging out with those she loves most.

Vanessa is represented by Helen Breitwieser of Cornerstone Literary Agency.

pagebreaksbookcometpagebreaksbookcomet

Salt by Dainelle Ellison

Salt (Salt, #1)

Publication date:

Publisher: Entangled Teen

Number of pages: 266

Series: Salt (1#)

Genre: YA Fantasy/Paranormal

Source: From the publisher for review via Netgalley. This is my honest opinion.

Goodreads synopsis:

Penelope is a witch, part of a secret society protecting humans from demon attacks. But when she was a child, a demon killed her parents—and stole her magic. Since then, she’s been pretending to be something she’s not, using her sister’s magic to hide her own loss, to prevent being sent away.

When she’s finally given the chance to join the elite demon-hunting force, Penelope thinks that will finally change. With her sister’s help, she can squeeze through the tests and get access to the information she needs to find “her” demon. To take back what was stolen.

Then she meets Carter. He’s cute, smart, and she can borrow his magic, too. He knows her secret—but he also has one of his own.

Suddenly, Penelope’s impossible quest becomes far more complicated. Because Carter’s not telling her everything, and it’s starting to seem like the demons have their own agenda…and they’re far too interested in her.

Review:

Buffy meets witch book. And does it ever make for a phenomenal read.

Penelope is the spunkiest witch ever, complete with the witty come backs. My personal favourite: “I roll my eyes. ‘I’ve met myself and I’m pretty awesome’” (44%). It would be funnier if you knew what was going on. These quotes had me seriously laughing out loud and I really don’t do that much while reading. Apart from witty and quick with funny comebacks, she was brave and smart in general. She liked to solve her own problems and didn’t rely on anyone else.

She wasn’t the only fantastic character though. There was Ric, Connie and, of course, Carter too! They complimented the story perfectly and each had a great relationship with Penelope – better than I could have hoped for!

The writing was modern and fresh. Of course the unique spin on witches helped too. Witches fighting demons? Never heard that one before. Plus there was all this other cool stuff too like tests she had to pass, the Bonding, essence and just all this other entertaining stuff.

I can’t believe what luck I’m having at the moment! 2014 so far has been like, 7/8 (I don’t know, I’m guessing) five star reviews. Thank you so much to Salt for ensuring that that continued!

I have to recommend this book to you. Whether you like urban fantasy, witch books, witty characters, funny one-liners, or just those sorts of things in general, you’re going to like, if not love this book.

5/5 comets – Bye, bye Earth! Out of this world!

Add to Goodreads

Goodreads author bio:

Danielle EllisonDanielle Ellison is from a small town in West Virginia. She spent her childhood pretending to fly and talking to imaginary friends. When she grew up, she finally flew away (in an airplane) and started traveling the world. She hasn’t stopped yet, but someday she may decide to settle in one place. Her real life friends would definitely like that; they would probably also like if she stopped talking to her characters out loud.

SALT comes out in January 2014, and then it’s sequel. In October 2014, FOLLOW ME THROUGH DARKNESS (book one of the BOUNDLESS Trilogy) comes out. She’s got a busy few years!

*These reviews have also been posted on my primary blog, http://www.bookcomet.wordpress.com