Bookcomet

Bookcomet

Article 5 Trilogy Review

Article 5 by Kristen Simmons

Article 5 (Article 5, #1)

Publication date: January 31st 2012 (first published January 1st 2012)

Number of pages: 362

Series: Article 5 (1#)

Genre: YA Science Fiction/Post Apocalyptic

Source: Borrowed. This is my honest opinion.

Goodreads synopsis:

New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C., have been abandoned.

The Bill of Rights has been revoked, and replaced with the Moral Statutes.

There are no more police—instead, there are soldiers. There are no more fines for bad behavior—instead, there are arrests, trials, and maybe worse. People who get arrested usually don’t come back.

Seventeen-year-old Ember Miller is old enough to remember that things weren’t always this way. Living with her rebellious single mother, it’s hard for her to forget that people weren’t always arrested for reading the wrong books or staying out after dark. It’s hard to forget that life in the United States used to be different.

Ember has perfected the art of keeping a low profile. She knows how to get the things she needs, like food stamps and hand-me-down clothes, and how to pass the random home inspections by the military. Her life is as close to peaceful as circumstances allow.

That is, until her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statutes. And one of the arresting officers is none other than Chase Jennings—the only boy Ember has ever loved.

Review:

I think my new rating system sums this up perfectly. 4 stars/comets = a great show. And that’s what it was.

Although I had two major issues with this book, there were some things that I liked as well. I liked the action and the fast paced writing. It definitely helped me to race through this book. In fact I set a goal to reach in one sitting and to my surprise, I was passed it when I went to check how much more I had to go.

Probably my biggest issue with it was the the romance. There wasn’t enough background information on Chase for me to feel like I know him and I just wasn’t a fan of him in general. I think that the romance definitely got better towards the end and I really appreciate that. I just don’t think it was a good thing that I was a bigger fan of two minor characters’ relationship rather than the characters’ who the story is mainly about.

The other thing is that I didn’t really take to was the actual story. Sure I thought that the idea of all these different articles was cool but other than that, and despite the quote on the front, there was nothing I thought to be particularly unique about it. I have read loads of dystopian books and it’s getting to the point where a book really does need to be different for me to enjoy it.

My favourite character easily had to be Ember’s mother. I just wish she had been in the story more.

No matter what I said about the romance, the actual characters were good. Yes, I remember that I just complained about Chase but I did like him as a character…just not the relationship he had with Ember. I’m hoping that will change in the next book when I get to know him better. But yes, Rebecca, Sean, Ember and all those other characters were also great.

I will definitely be reading the sequel and the third book and hope that Breaking Point raises my expectations and Three succeeds in raising them yet again.

4/5 comets
Meteor shower – A great show.

Breaking Point by Kristen Simmons

Breaking Point (Article 5, #2)

Publication date: February 12th 2013

Number of pages: 400

Series: Article 5 (2#)

Genre: YA Science Fiction/Post Apocalyptic

Source: Borrowed

Goodreads synopsis:

The second installment in Kristen Simmons’s fast-paced, gripping YA dystopian series.

After faking their deaths to escape from prison, Ember Miller and Chase Jennings have only one goal: to lay low until the Federal Bureau of Reformation forgets they ever existed.

Near-celebrities now for the increasingly sensationalized tales of their struggles with the government, Ember and Chase are recognized and taken in by the Resistance—an underground organization working to systematically take down the government. At headquarters, all eyes are on the sniper, an anonymous assassin taking out FBR soldiers one by one. Rumors are flying about the sniper’s true identity, and Ember and Chase welcome the diversion….

Until the government posts its most-wanted list, and their number one suspect is Ember herself.

Orders are shoot to kill, and soldiers are cleared to fire on suspicion alone. Suddenly Ember can’t even step onto the street without fear of being recognized, and “laying low” is a joke. Even members of the Resistance are starting to look at her sideways.

With Chase urging her to run, Ember must decide: Go into hiding…or fight back?

Review:

I was a little unsure of what my rating was going to be for the majority of Breaking Point. There was the good…and the bad. I think the scales tip just slightly at good though.

I can definitely say that I liked Article 5 more. I liked the story more and felt that there was more hope for Ember. It seemed a lot more interesting to me in terms of the story anyway.

My biggest problem with Breaking Point was that I had a hard time getting into it. It just wasn’t quite unique enough for me and it felt like a lot of other dystopian books that have ended up rating around the same as this one. It got pretty good at 100 pages in though. Especially the last 100 pages.

Speaking of the final 100 pages, they were epic. The action kept going and it got pretty exciting. There were a couple of twists and they were pretty good.

The thing I do like about the story concept is the Article number things. Like Ember is an Article 5 violates and there are characters that violated other articles…I just thought that was pretty good.

I am definitely a bigger fan of the relationship between Chase and Ember in this book because the smidgen of backstory in there definitely helped.

I will be starting the third book very soon and do have fairly high hopes for it. I think it will be better than Breaking Point and Article 5 and I am looking forward to reading it. I am a little curious as to how many books there will be in this series though.

3.5/5 comets
Looks like the start of an apocalypse. Nearly there.

Three by Kristen Simmons

Three (Article 5, #3)

Publication date: February 11th 2014

Number of pages: 384

Series: Article 5 (3#)

Genre: YA Science Fiction/Post Apocalypse

Source: Provided in exchange for review via Netgalley. This is my honest review.

Goodreads synopsis:

Kristen Simmons’ fast-paced, gripping YA dystopian series continues in Three.

Ember Miller and Chase Jennings are ready to stop running. After weeks spent in hiding as two of the Bureau of Reformation’s most wanted criminals, they have finally arrived at the safe house, where they hope to live a safe and quiet existence.

And all that’s left is smoking ruins.

Devastated by the demolition of their last hope, Ember and Chase follow the only thing left to them—tracks leading away from the wreckage. The only sign that there may have been survivors.

With their high profile, they know they can’t stay out in the open for long. They take shelter in the wilderness and amidst the ruins of abandoned cities as they follow the tracks down the coast, eventually finding refugees from the destroyed safe house. Among them is someone from Chase’s past—someone he never thought he’d see again.

Banding together, they search for a place to hide, aiming for a settlement a few of them have heard about…a settlement that is rumored to house the nebulous organization known as Three. The very group that has provided Ember with a tiny ray of hope ever since she was first forced on the run.

Three is responsible for the huge network of underground safe houses and resistance groups across the country. And they may offer Ember her only chance at telling the world her story.

At fighting back.

At the publisher’s request, this title is being sold without Digital Rights Management software (DRM) applied.

Review:

I can’t believe this trilogy is…over. Three days ago I knew virtually nothing about the Article 5 trilogy. Three days later I’ve read the entire trilogy.

Three made for a fantastic conclusion. I was very sure that Article 5 was going to remain my favourite in the trilogy but this one hit me hard. I wasn’t sure what to expect because I was a little unsure after the previous book, which was by far my least favourite in the trilogy.

But I loved characters I never really thought I would. I mourned characters. I thought about the characters when my mind should have been elsewhere. I got too attached to the characters.

The aftermath of what had happened in this world was horrific. This was probably the number one way in which in differs from other dystopian books I have read. That being said, I still don’t feel it brings anything shockingly new to the table but I liked the way there were different “Articles”.

I thought the pacing was just right – not too fast *insert a fair few dystopians here*. I REALLY liked the ending. However, I wasn’t immediately sucked in.a

Chase and Ember’s relationship has grown on me a lot since the first book and I really like it now. Three gave me as a reader plenty of opportunities to think and I really like that. I’d love to see this trilogy made into a movie.

I would recommend this trilogy to dystopian fans everywhere. It’s a good read and a trilogy I really enjoyed.

4.5/5 comets
KABOOM! That only leaves one continent. One little flaw.

Goodreads author bio:

Kristen SimmonsKristen Simmons has a master’s degree in social work and is an advocate for mental health. She loves Jazzercise, her husband, and her precious greyhound, Rudy. Also chocolate. She currently lives in Tampa, Florida.

For more updates on Kristen and her writing, visit http://www.kristensimmonsbooks.com or http://www.facebook.com/author.kriste….

*These reviews have also been posted on my primary blog, here: http://bookcomet.wordpress.com/2014/01/27/article-5-trilogy-review/