Bookcomet

Everneath by Brodi Ashton Review

Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Everneath (Everneath, #1)

Goodreads synopsis:

Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath. Now she's returned-to her old life, her family, her boyfriend-before she's banished back to the underworld . . . this time forever. She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these precious months forgetting the Everneath and trying to reconnect with her boyfriend, Jack, the person most devastated by her disappearance-and the one person she loves more than anything. But there's just one problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who enticed her to the Everneath in the first place, has followed Nikki home. Cole wants to take over the throne in the underworld and is convinced Nikki is the key to making it happen. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back, this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time on the Surface draws to a close and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she is forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's queen.

Everneath is a captivating story of love, loss, and immortality from debut author Brodi Ashton.

Review:

Oh. My. Goodness. I loved this book.

I have been constantly thinking about Cole and Jack ever since I started this book and trying to decide who Nikki should pick and I just come out answerless. I think that's part of the reason it's so good - there's this element of difficulty for Nikki so that she can't win. At the moment, I'm thinking Cole. Because Jack can be with Jules. Cole won't have anyone else. That will probably change very shortly.

Now, I hardly ever quote things, but in this case I couldn't not:
"We shared a heart, Nik." He touched his fingers to my heart. "Your heart is in me now."
See what I mean?

But really, it's fairly even sided.

Anyway, the pace of the story was the perfect first book of the year pacing for me. And it was just so great anyway. There were sometimes when stopping reading seemed very hard.

Nikki was a fantastic character - she didn't really whine, she was reasonable (well, most of the time), brave and fairly smart. She was a character I could read about and probably never get tired of.

I can't wait to read the sequel. I think I'm going to make myself wait until the third book is released though. Each book in this trilogy has really beautiful colours. They're really cool too though, the way the ends of the dresses fade into smoke and they're not just girls in dresses to me like on some books (not that I mind really. It's better than girls in pyjamas. That would be kind of weird).

5/5 stars!

Add Everneath to Goodreads

Goodreads author bio:

Brodi AshtonI write Young Adult novels. I eat cinnamon bears. I love me some Diet Coke.

My debut book EVERNEATH (the first in a trilogy) comes out Winter 2012 with Balzer and Bray (Harper Collins).

I'm represented by Michael Bourret at Dystel and Goderich Literary Management.

* This review is also posted at my primary blog, Bookcomet

Source: http://bookcomet.wordpress.com/2014/01/16/everneath-by-brodi-ashton-review